Friday, February 18, 2005

Being in a lecture

The best thing about being in a lecture, when you are a lecturer, is the ability to be in the shoes of the student. Eventhough I was a on the student side when I was in Campus, I never thought of the lecturing aspect of it. Now I carefully assimilate the method and approach taken by lecturers, and how they affect me and my colleagues.

For instance I found that telling anecdotes help a great deal. People who are literally falling asleep will wake up, just to hear an amusing or sometimes a story directly relevant to the topic under discussion.

Its amazing what these "stories" can do. Students whose minds have been wandering into the realm of "what am I gonna have for lunch?", "when is this dope going to finish?" "enough already, yaawwwwnn....", suddenly are all ears waiting eagerly for your story. And, I found out, the more it is closer to your real life, the better it is. It also helps build a bond bringing lecturer and student closer. There are some who may not agree about having such a bond, but I believe it is has BIG positive impact.

Another thing which I experienced is the effectiveness of group work during class. I never had the experience of participating in such activity in the traditional learning environment of campus, but my MBA has definitely opened a new door. My initial perception to such group work was, "waste of time", "lecturer hasn't prepared, so he is trying to use up some time"... but how soon I was to change this totally wrong picture on group activity.

Being involved in such grouped activity helped liven up the learning, rather than have a boring lecture to listen to. Now YOU have something to do. Even a case study, given to a group is great. Different ideas come through; some good some, well let's say interesting, shall we?

So this inturn changed the way I started delivering lectures. Started doing more group work in the class. I got the feeling some students were not very favourable towards it, but however, later, like me, I think they changed.

6 Comments:

Blogger Tasha said...

On what grounds have you made this last statement?

10:05 AM

 
Blogger D said...

Sure enough we did think that you'd given the group assignments 'cos you were not ready for the class and working on them much more efective than the class- Exposed us to the practical usage of the content.

I would like to call ur attention to the fact that conducting a lecture successfully isn't all there is to lecturing. Handing out lecture notes, assignments on time are also on the list. Not paying enough attention to these could make a lecturer, who is as interesting as you, into failure.

One more thing, I really appreciate ur style of teaching for those who wanna learn and not just to get through the exam, but towards the end of a semester, being prepared for the exam is almost all that counts, isn't it?

11:52 PM

 
Blogger Reacher said...

Don't have any grounds. Just my observation.

2:46 PM

 
Blogger Tasha said...

If you have the knowledge, wont you do well in the exam anyway?

3:00 PM

 
Blogger D said...

In case you have failed to notice it after all this time, Exams don't always test your knowledge, they test your Exam-preparedness!!

4:52 PM

 
Blogger G said...

agree w Daham.. I personally hate exams, but i don't mind other stuff... writing codes for an example

Anyways.. i'm in this .net thing. (thespoke). I'm hoping we'd hav u on thursday........

I certainly am lookin forward for that!!!!!!!!!!!11

9:44 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home