Friday, June 10, 2005

The great get-together

There we were, receding hairlines, fledgeling(?) pot bellies and a mind full of anecdotes to share. Molly's was hardly the place to meet for this band of friends, who for the most part abstain from cohol. But Molly's it was, and jolly molly of a time we had too. Isn't it ironic that a guy thousands of miles away has to come down to Lanka for people who live thousands of yards apart to meet up?The usual update of "what are you upto now?" is followed by pictures/descriptions of children and the usual "nightmare taking care of the kids but I still wouldnt change my life" stories.

The reason for the get-together was the arrival of Dave Van Sanden, a friend from St. Joseph's who I havent sighted for close to a decade! Coincidently another close friend, Sanjeewa Goonasekera, was also in town. It was Rohan Jayatillake who called me about the get-together. I managed to contact Nilantha Perera and, later, Sanjeev Samaranayake, to join in as well.

Not even a bad cough and a temperature could stop me from going to Molly's that night. In fact, I was the first one to arrive! Rohan was there next, and then a surprise, Alex Duckworth, the Peterite Head Cop! It had been a long time. Along comes Nilantha a few minutes after.

Next was Dave along with the "perahera" of wife - Auri, kid - Ethan, mum and dad. After the introductions, the family left Dave with the "guys" and went out for dinner. I must state that Dave's first exclamation was that I had not changed. Believe me, I was very happy with that. So, I thought, I still DO look eighteen! My happiness was shortlived, when someone from the clique asked, almost in an incredulous voice, "Are you sure??" and I had to stupidly walk towards a lighted area!!!

For me however, no one had "changed". The physical changes were obvious. But still it was the same person. The way they talk, behave has changed very little.

Next came Chryshantha Perera, the "tikiri" man. yes, the Seylan "tikiri" concept was his. He also manages the Karaoke bar at Galadari, part time. If only I had known this before!!!???

Sanjeewa came in a bit later and the discussions had begun!

Man, was it a long and wonderful night. Almost like breathing in a rare scent which fills your mind with wonderful memories. We discussed teachers, friends, events, etc... and of course married life, interrupted by the arrival of Tamara (aka Buddhika) Perera and Sanjeev Samranayake. Sorry, thats Dr. Sanjeev Samaranayake.

At least we decided to meet up regularly and update each other on whats going on in our lives. We are a quite capable bunch of people, who may be able to raise this association to greater heights, who knows? So my task is to set up a website for the class of 94 at SJC. Perhaps this might be the beginning of something great!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home